1) Brief History
:- In 1881, railway first came to Assam when Assam Railway and Trading Company set up metre gauge track. The 65-km-long metre gauge line from Dibrugarh to Margherita was constructed mainly for transportation of tea and coal. This company later started the first passenger train in Assam by the name of Dibru–Sadiya Railway. The North Eastern Railway was formed on 14 April 1952 by amalgamating two railway systems: the Assam Railway and Oudh and Tirhut Railway. Later, it was bifurcated into two railway zones on 15 January 1958, the North Eastern Railway and the Northeast Frontier Railway to better serve the needs of the northeastern states.
The "Northeast Frontier Railway" abbreviated as N.F. Railway is one of the 18 railway zones in Indian Railways, headquartered at Maligaon, it is responsible for rail operations in the entire Northeast and parts of West Bengal and Bihar. Kamakhya Junction, earlier named as Jalukbari, directly connects Maligaon with many major cities of the country.
2) Silent feature
Total Railway Track length -4200.20 Kms, Railway Stations-520, Platforms-777, Mail / Express trains-227, Passenger Trains-170, Goods Trains-66, Passenger carried per day-2.88 Lakhs, No. of manned Level crossing -1534, No. of Railway Employees-72,766, No. of RPF Personnel- 4089, RPF Posts-52, RPF Outposts -50, No. of GRP persons-1423, GRP Thana-33, GRP Outposts-37.
At several places the jurisdiction of N. F. Rly is very close to international borders of Nepal, Bangladesh, Bhutan, Myanmar & China.
Kamakhya Temple, atop the Neelachal hill, the highest spot in the city, draws pilgrims from all over India especially during the Ambubachi festival. A high seat of the shakti sect, it is associated with the legend of the mother goddess who slayed the legendary demon king Narakasur who ruled ancient Assam. The focal
point of Maligaon is its town square. It is located between Jalukbari Point and the Kamakhya foothills of Kamakhya Temple. Maligaon was previously a part of Pandu but from 1975 became part of Guwahati (Municipality Corporation). The Padmanath Gohain Baruah Road (P.N.G.B. Road) runs from Maligaon Chariali to NH-37 at Tetelia via Maligaon Goshala. The fourth road is the one that originates at Maligaon Chariali and runs northwest towards Pandu Cabin, touching Aruna Cinema Hall and Pandu College on the way. The Jalukbari Police Station lies at this corner of the Chariali. A foot overbridge for pedestrians has been inaugurated in early 2013.