South Central Railway was formed on 02.10.1966 when Hubli and Vijayawada divisions of Southern Railway and Sholapur and Secunderabad divisions of Central Railway were carved out and merged into a new zone. Subsequently, Guntakal division of Southern Railway was merged with South Central Railway on 02.10.1977 and Sholapur division was re-merged with Central Railway. Secunderabad division was split into two divisions viz., Secunderabad and Hyderabad divisions on 17.02.1978.
With effect from 01.04.2003, six full-fledged divisions viz., Secunderabad, Hyderabad, Vijayawada, Guntakal, Guntur and Nanded are in operation on South Central Railway. Hubli division, which was earlier in South Central Railway, has become a part of South Western Railway.
South Central Railway serves the major portion of Telangana, Andhra Pradesh, Maharashtra and small portions of Karnataka, Tamilnadu & Madhya Pradesh states.
Out of total route kilometer age of 6234.13 km., Telangana covers 1822.682 kms, Andhra Pradesh covers 2844.544 kms., Maharashtra covers 1102.695 kms., Karnataka covers 387.169 kms. Madhya Pradesh covers 70.18 kms. and Tamilnadu covers 6.86 kms. respectively.
South Central Railway caters to important pilgrimage places at Tirupati and Nanded.
South Central Railway has loaded 117.8 M.Tonnes of freight mainly Coal, Cement, Steel, Fertilizers, Food Grains etc and carried 127.4 million passengers in FY 22.
2) Salient features:-
* S.C.Railway is having with the sanctioned strength of 3312 officers & staff.
* There are 52 posts & 59 Outposts and 65 other units functioning round the clock over the zone.
* One unit of Cyber Cell is functioning at Headquarters of S.C.Railway.
* All the six divisions having Special Intelligence and Crime Intelligence branches.
* 49 Barracks over S.C.Railway (excluding RPF/Training Centre/Moula-Ali with 964 Bed capacity).
* Over 58 stations, 1356 CCTV cameras are provided.
* Integrated Security System was implemented at Secunderabad, Hyderbad and Tirupati Railway Stations.
* 45 four wheelers were provided at RPF Posts as well as Divisional Headquarters and 107 two wheelers were provided at all RPF Posts & Outposts and other units.
* 09 kennels are functioning over the zone with 26 (Sniffer & Tracker) Dogs for efficiently ensuring safety and security of passengers at platforms and in trains.
* Welfare: RSKN benefits is being granted to the staff and eligible wards as per the guidelines. During the year 2021 an amount of Rs.14.10 lakhs has been sanctioned under various heads.
* 120 wards of RPF personnel were granted Prime Minister Scholarship Scheme for the financial year 2021-22.