1) Brief History
In recognition to persistent public demands, a new Railway Zone, with its Headquarters at Bilaspur, was inaugurated by Hon’ble Prime Minister of India, Shri Atal Bihari Vajpayee on 20th Sep’ 1998 and dedicated to the nation on 1 April 2003.
South East Central Railway (SECR) emerged as a new zone on Indian Railways on 1st April’ 2003 with its headquarters at Bilaspur. It comprises of three Divisions Bilaspur, Raipur and Nagpur.
SECR is spread across four states namely Chhattisgarh, Madhya Pradesh, Maharashtra and Odisha. The entire jurisdiction of SECR has abundance of mineral resources, most vital for industrial and economic activity as well to spin the wheel of progress across the nation.
With only 3.66 % of total route kilometres of Indian Railways, it is having the uniqueness of being the leanest zone on IR but having the proud distinction of contributing 15% of total freight loading, 25% of total coal loading and 15% of total freight earning of Indian Railways.
Since its inception, this lean zone has tried to excel and leave a footprint on the horizon of glorious Indian Railways. Results of these efforts are quite evident. Today this zone is identified and recognized as:
• One of the Highest Earning Zone over Indian Railways
• One of the Highest loading zones over Indian Railways
• Zone with one of the best Operating Ratio over Indian Railways
• Zone with ample use of Information Technology
2) Salient features
• S.E.C.Railway is having with the sanctioned strength of 1733 officers & staff.
• There are 27 Posts & 17 Outposts and 60 other units functioning round the clock over the zone.
• One unit of Cyber Cell is functioning at Headquarters of S.E.C.Railway.
• All the three divisions having Special Intelligence and Crime Intelligence Branches.
• 27 Barracks over S.E.C.Railway.
• Over 22 Stations, 490 CCTV cameras are provided.
• Integrated Security System was implemented at Bilaspur, Raipur and Gondia Railway Stations.
• 47 Four wheelers were are provided at RPF Posts as well as Divisional Headquarters and 44 two wheelers are provided at all RPF Posts & Outposts and other units.
• 07 Kennels are functioning over the zone with 18 (Sniffer & Tracker) Dogs for efficiency ensuring safety and security of passengers at platforms and in trains.
• Welfare:- RSKN benefits is being granted to the staff and eligible wards as per guidelines. During the year 2020-2021 an amount of Rs. 14.10 lakhs had been sanctioned under various heads.
• Continuous Drive was conducted by SECR against Touts . During the year 2020-2021, 228 touts were arrested and total tickets of ₹53.30 lakhs were seized.
• RP(UP) Act Drives were regularly organized against coal thefts, Receivers of stolen railway property and repeated offenders . Due to all these efforts RPF detected and registered 329 cases under RPUP Act with the arrest of 641 criminals and Recovered stolen railway property valued ₹ 15.73 lakhs in year 2021-2022
• 115 cases detected of TOPB (Theft of Passenger Belongings ), 117 persons arrest and recovered stolen property valued ₹ 14.60 lakhs in year 2021-2022
• Under the special drive against drug smugglers in the month of April-2022, 09 accused including 168.423 kg of ganja worth ₹ 1105230.00 were confiscated and handed over to the Government Railway Police in 10 cases.