South Western Railway was created by amalgamating the re-organized Hubli division from South Central Railway and Bangalore & Mysore divisions from Southern Railway. It has been operational from I st April 2003 having the headquarters at Hubli in the state of Karnataka. The Railway comprises of 03 divisions, viz. Hubli, Bangalore & Mysore and primarily caters to Karnataka state with 84% of its jurisdiction located there. The balance 16% of its route length falls in Andhra Pradesh, Tamil Nadu, Maharashtra and Goa.
Bangalore division of this zone is passenger oriented while Hubli & Mysore divisions are fright oriented. Bangalore city is a world famous Information Technology hub of India. Hubli and Mysore are having important tourist places. This Railway hosts a large number of world heritage sites. Some of the important tourist destinations like Hampi ruins, Caves of Badami, Pattadakallu, Aihole, Coan Beaches come under the jurisdiction of Hubli division of this Railway. Mysore division caters to the World famous Dasara celebrations and other historic places like Hoyasala dynasty's monuments in Belur, Halebeedu, Somanathapura and the famous Jogfalls.
There has been perceptible improvement in Railway services across Karnataka and its districts. After its formation 591 km of new line, 598 km of Gauge Conversion and 1165 km of doubling have been commissioned. 110 numbers of new Express / Passenger trains have been introduced. Apart from this, services of many trains have been extended and frequency of some trains has been increased for the benefit of travelling public.
2. Silent Features for the year 2021-2022
l. This zone has taken stringent measures in curbing touting activities on RIY ticketing system and brought the menace under control. SBC division of this RIY has cracked one pan India gang who were operating from Pakistan.
2. This Zone has initiate exclusive drive under "Meri Saheli" to help women passenger and also to check human trafficking. This brought laurels from every corner.
3. This Zone has introduced a separate team "Nanhe Fharisthe" to identify and rescue runaway children. These teams are effectively working and have rescued 545 boys and 75 Girls.
4. 30 persons were rescued from various accidents under operation Jeeven Rakshak and rendered Medical Assistance.
5. In 352 occasions the RPF personnel of this Zone responded promptly and handed over the left over luggage to the owners under operation Amanath. There is appreciation from all corners for the proactive role of RPF.
6. Fake recruitment gang was busted by this Zone wherein gangsters have duped 400 candidates to the tune of RS.22 Crores.
7. The vigilant and pro-active role played by the RPF resulted in arrest of 02 fake Railway servants who were duping Railways and Railway passengers.
8. This zone is providing valuable assistance to CRP in detection of TOPB offences and recovery of stolen property. During 2022, so far 22 cases have been detected by RPF with arrest of 99 offenders.